Welcome to the Careers Department at Lady Manners School. We trust that these web pages will give students and parents access to comprehensive information, advice and guidance on career choices. Click the links to see more information on:
- a wide range of careers and routes into these careers
- 'next step' education opportunities (ie sixth form, college, university)
- job and apprenticeship opportunities
- volunteering and year out opportunities
Through these pages, you can also keep up to date with developments in careers education and guidance, and work related learning at Lady Manners School - including key dates in the calendar.
Lady Manners School Employability Goals
Lady Manners School provides student access to a number of employability focused activities either through the Careers Department and/or through individual curriculum areas. These are designed to further equip students with the skills and competencies they will need in their future career, whatever their immediate pathway is after Years 11 and 13. Lady Manners School strives for the D2N2 (the Local Enterprise Partnership for Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Nottinghamshire) Employability Goals. Students will be introduced to and revisit these goals at different stages of their education here in school:
- Self-Motivated: learn to develop their own strengths and appropriate values, taking responsibility for developing work-ready skills and attitudes.
- Self-Assured: learn how to present themselves effectively to employers.
- Aspirational: have high expectations regarding the future.
- Informed: have a good knowledge of the potential routes available to them, both locally and beyond, and to have an understanding of the relative merits of each option.
- Experienced: benefit from first hand contact with a range of work environments.
- High Achievers: gain qualifications that are appropriate to their potential and which will be valued by employers in the immediate and longer term.
- Accountable: develop an outlook whereby they show clear responsibility for their own actions and have a strong work ethic so that they will become valued members of society.
- Resilient: learn to listen to sensible advice, learn from successes and mistakes, and then keep going even more effectively.
- Entrepreneurial: use their creativity and determination to help develop the potential that exists for their employer or their business.
- Co-operative: develop qualities that enable them to work well with other people and to communicate effectively and respectfully.
Lady Manners School Careers Department
Mr Stephen Pacey is the Head of Careers & Employability at Lady Manners School. He is a qualified Careers Adviser, holding the Diploma in Career Guidance (Level 6). He is a member of the Careers Development Institute and, as such, is bound by their code of ethics to promote impartial careers guidance.
The Careers Department has a dedicated area at school, next to the Drama Hall.
Additional sources of information
Myvle (the school's virtual learning environment) contains further information and links to careers information databases, higher education course ideas and work experience details. There is also a survey to let you tell us what you think of the careers service in school. You will need to enter your school username and password.
If you have any suggestions on how to improve these pages or wish to contact the careers department on any other matter, please email Mr Pacey or phone him on 01629 812671 (extension 212).